Thursday, May 28, 2015
Reuters (5/28, Shirouzu) reports that a source close to Takata Corp. said that the company, which had previously resisted demands by Federal regulators to expand its airbag recall, has shifted its attitude and is more willing to compromise in order to resolve this crisis. However, the source told Reuters that automakers share the blame, and should share the costs associated with the recall. The source also indicated that Takata started contacting the DOT and the NHTSA last month, adding that those talks resulted in the recent announcement of the expanded recall.
NHTSA, Takata officials expected to appear at congressional hearing. Detroit Bureau (5/28, Strong) reports that NHTSA officials and Takata representatives are expected to appear at a House panel hearing next week, which will focus on the Takata airbag recall. Additionally, the article notes that the NHTSA recently “filed legal paperwork” to compel Takata and the impacted automakers “to develop a plan to expedite” the recall process. However, it adds that if Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx does not approve the plan, “he can reject it and implement one of his own.”