Thursday, January 21, 2021

 

Dealing with Loss and Tragedy

 We have all experienced  heart wrenching loss.

 Loss of a spouse, mom, dad, son, daughter, brother, sister, best friend.

 Sometimes, it's unexpected and unnecessary loss, in the most cruelest of ways.

 How can we cope?  How can we deal with it?

 We must, so we do, we must carry on.

 But, were do we find the strength?

 As an attorney, I have met a lot of people, who have lost a loved one, and are grieving.  Often times, senseless, unnecessary loss, that could have been prevented of other people had followed the safety rules.

 I have also met a lot of people with tremendous heart, strength and inspiration.

 I marvel at how they can carry such pain in their hearts and carry on with great strength and fortitude.

 How do they do it?

 I think we each deal with our losses in our own way, in our own time, by ourselves and with the help of others.

 But, I think a big part of that, is simply asking ourselves:

      What would the person we have lost want us to do?

     What would they do? How would they do it?

 I believe we can and we must draw strength from these questions.

 Would they want us to shut ourselves in, shut down, or just be sad? Maybe for a little while, but then they would want us to get back up, dust ourselves off, and live the fullest, most productive, happiest lives we are capable of.

 Would they want us to get out there, smile, make the world a better place and honor their memories? Those wonderful memories. I think so, and they are there to help us.  Get out of our comfort zones and soar.

 I heard a song once, there is a line in it that goes something like, "did you ever know that you're my hero? The wind beneath my wings"

 We will always have the wind beneath our wings, it's just a matter of what we do with it.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment